Well, 2013 went quickly with fewer photo opportunities than I would have wanted.
Here however are a collection of 10 of my favourite images taken in 2013 (in no particular order). Hope you enjoy.
1. Baby Porcelain Crab – Sogod Bay, Philippines, Nikon D7100, 105mm VR macro, Fit Pro +5, +8 and +16, 2x INON Z240.
I always enjoy photographing porcelain crabs and this one appealed because it was so tiny. I like the composition with the purple tinge in the negative space heading into the background.
2. Flabellina, Plymouth, UK, Nikon D7100, 105mm VR, Fit Pro +5, +8 and +16. 2x INON Z240
This photo won the award for Marine Life in the BSoUP splash in 2013. Unprocessed.
3. Cuttlefish action in Babbacombe, UK. Nikon D7100, 60mm macro, 2x INON Z240
I hadn’t witnessed this action before and I was glad to spend time in the water with these fascinating creature.
4. Tompot battle. Swanage Pier, UK. Olympus OMD-EM5, 12-50mm, 2x INON Z240.
Having dived Swanage countless times, this is the first time I’d seen action like this. Very please to have had the opportunity to spend 30 minutes watching this territorial behaviour.
5. Basket Star Simplicity, The Alternatives, Egypt. Nikon D7000, 60mm macro, 2x INON Z240
I love the simplicity in the fractals of this image, one I’d been trying to capture for a long time.
6. Relax time, Lundy, UK. Nikon D7100, Tokina 10-17. 2x INON Z240.
I didn’t dive much in the UK this year but a season is not complete with a visit to the seals.
7. Monster’s Inc, Lembeh, Indonesia. Nikon D7100, 105mm VR, 2x INON Z240.
Amazing features on this fish, enough said. 85 minutes to get this shot!
8. Harlequin Squad, Lembeh, Indonesia. Nikon D7100, 105mm VR macro, 2x INON Z240.
I like the formation of these fish and their colour coordination.
9. Process Manatee, Crystal River, Florida, Canon 70D, Tokina 10-17 Fisheye, Natural Light.
A wonderful experience away from the intensity of DEMA. This has been treated to an oil-painting filter and a vignette in Photoshop. Black and white to get rid of the dirty green water background.
10. Something on your face! Lembeh, Indonesia Nikon D7100, 105mm VR macro, 2x INON Z240.
A final behaviour shot which I like wraps up 2013.
Being on 2014!